Whimsical Wanderings

Full Version: Important Announcement – Story Scribes!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know I've been quiet around here these past few months. That's because I've been working on something bigGrin

Story Scribes | A Community for Writers

What is Story Scribes?
It's a website that's entirely devoted to writing.

Is it a fanfiction site?
Not exactly. This is a site for all writers. Fanfiction, original fiction, nonfiction, published, unpublished, you name it. There's a place for everyone.

Is there a story archive?
No, there isn't. An archive involves a lot of extra work/limitations, and overall, I didn't see it as a necessary feature. Fanfiction authors have plenty of sites where they can post their work, and of course, they're welcome to share links on the forum, in their profiles, and/or status updates.

Is Story Scribes similar to this site?
Yes and no. We do have a forum, chat, and other familiar member functions. Story Scribes is built on WordPress, however, which means there are a number of differences. We're keeping things simple for now, though we'll be adding additional features in the future.

We just moved to Whimsical Wanderings a year ago. Why this new site??
I don't have to tell you guys that things have been slow around here. I think that's because there's no clear focus – we've been trying to cover too many different topics, and there's not enough content for any of those topics to attract new members. Multi-fandom was a good idea in theory, but in the end, a site needs a strong, central theme.

Beyond that, it's hard to keep fansites going over the long haul. Shows end, interests change, people move on to something new. How do you keep up with that? You can't, really, especially if you don't have much unique/engaging content to offer. Breaking news about fandoms is posted all over social media in a matter of minutes – we can't keep up with that.

I could've promoted harder, I suppose. I could've pressured you guys to post more about different fandoms, and I could've spent huge chunks of my free time tracking down fandom related content to share. But a.) that wouldn't have been fair to you guys, and b.) I would've hated it.
The truth is, I'm not that into the fandom stuff. I might watch a show, occasionally talk about it a little bit, and under the right circumstances, I'll write a few stories. But fandom itself has never been my central focus.

The one thing I've absolutely loved throughout this 5+ year journey, the thing I never get tired of? 
Writing. 
That's my real passion, and I miss having a close knit writing community to work with. That's why I decided to create a site that has real longevity, one that caters to all writers. That's the kind of site I'll never outgrow, and I hope the same is true for others as well.

Are you shutting down Whimsical Wanderings?
Not immediately, no. I know there are a handful of people who still use the site, and believe me, I don't want to take that away from you. That said, I'm hoping you guys will be willing to make the transition – running two sites is a lot more expensive than one, and I just don't have the interest/passion to keep this one going indefinitely.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping to offer you something better – a thriving community that will grow over time rather than slowly fading away.

But Story Scribes is a writing site. What if I'm not a writer?
The truth is, I can't make a site that suits everyone. Writing is my passion, and in the end, that's what I have to follow. But we will have an off-topic section – if you still want to interact with friends you've made on THoC and WW, that would be a great place for you to do so. You can still talk about your favorite shows, share what's going on in your life, all the things you do here.

Also, there will definitely be a place for visual artists on Story Scribes. Writers need book covers, illustrations, inspirational graphics, as well as visual prompts to stir their imaginations. If you wish to join, even if you're solely a visual artist, I think you'll find that the site has a lot to offer.

– – – – –
Okay, I've covered just about everything I can think of. Let me know if you have any questions, and of course, I'd love to see you over at the site!  Grin
I'm excited to use this opportunity to expand my writing horizons and learn more in the process.  

[Image: OwyWE.gif]
Hmm, now why do you think would we welcome a new place to talk about our writing?!

*nudges*

*winks*

[Image: excited-gif6.gif]

LOL.

That said, I am a bit sad to see the distant end of Whimsical Writings coming. It was so much work to get my 50+ stories and bookcovers up there! Sad Oh well. *shrugs* Can't stop progress, I suppose. Wink
When does it start? Grin 

[Image: excited-baby.gif]
It's here already.  Come on in!  Kissy
(09-25-2017, 06:07 AM)Matthew72 Wrote: [ -> ]It was so much work to get my 50+ stories and bookcovers up there!  Sad  Oh well. *shrugs* Can't stop progress, I suppose. Wink

Hey, for what it's worth, I feel your pain. 124 chapters of Undeniable. 92 chapters of Obscura, and that was just two of my many stories. Lmao
We'll always be able to reach a larger audience on the major fanfiction sites though, and the updating process will be quicker without an extra site to keep track of. It'll balance out in the long run.

I considered keeping the archive, but the fact is, that software is horribly outdated. The creators keep promising that a new version is coming soon, but there hasn't been a new release in nearly 3 years. Sooner or later, it's going to be a security risk, you know? And unfortunately, there really aren't any alternatives for small story archives.

We'll just have to trust the big sites with that part of it. As for everything else? WordPress is the most popular/well-maintained website platform in the world. That's why I chose it for this new site – it really is built to last. Smile2

Also, I was thinking of closing this site on January 1. Would that be okay with everyone? Server fees come up in mid-January, and I really don't want to pay for another year if I don't have to. Also, that would still give everyone three full months to save anything they want to keep.
Ah, I understand. Outdated software in the long run is no good. So wise choice! Grin

Gotta revise my options for the future and I am sure in the long run I will find my way. Sadly, it was my own mistake to have WW be the only place where my collection is complete. Good to know that I have until January to plan for the future. And yeah, that is a good deadline towork with. Smile
(09-25-2017, 09:56 AM)Heatherlly Wrote: [ -> ]
Also, I was thinking of closing this site on January 1. Would that be okay with everyone? Server fees come up in mid-January, and I really don't want to pay for another year if I don't have to. Also, that would still give everyone three full months to save anything they want to keep.

Sure... Although I feel I have no say in this, as I don't have any art or stories on this forum. (posted it all someplace else when we moved here... Wink )  But it should give everyone enough time to save what they want to keep from here.

The "Story Scribes" site looks great. Looking forward exploring it and find inspiration.
Ah, there is both pain and joy in moving on. I will miss this place, as I miss THoC, but I also look forward to new adventures.

Also, I think a January 1 closing sounds very reasonable. That should give people adequate time to save their work.
Exciting development. I feel really sad as recently I have been so busy I've barely had time to come on here on a regular basis. But this idea is very exciting and has great attractions for me, especially as I am struggling with my writing at the moment. So I have joined up to the new site already, and its look's really lovely so well done Heather, on another impressive website. 

I am also delighted that art will form a part of it, as that is my other passion at the moment. I love the idea of inspiring people into writing by doing something creative like this. Smile

I think giving us till January is fine, I already have my stories on FFNet and AO3 so I'm not too bothered about saving them, as I did that when we moved to WW. I just cannot wait to explore the new site, and its great that there are so many familiar names there already. 

As ever Heather thanks for all your efforts into these various ventures I really hope the new site brings all your hopes to fruition, you deserve it the hard work you put into everything.  Loveheart
Pages: 1 2 3 4